Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Peace & Quiet" ($30.00)




















( adjusted price.....$30.00)


This very chaotic background image almost went in the trash until I realized it was a great visual metaphor of the busyness and loudness of life. My objective then became how to contrast that by visually lowering the chaos...which is exactly what we all must do in real life to stay sane.

This piece is all about layering and using color to bring things together. I began by mixing liquid graphite (Derivan brand in a jar) with paste to create paste paper. It needed color so I glazed over the entire image with Liquitex Transparent Viridian. (Liquitex also makes a Transparent Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna.) These transparent colors give an "aged" look, especially the Raw Sienna.

I knew that white would be the best color choice for lettering, but I also needed it somewhere else. White Gesso was my choice and I stamped it on randomly by applying it to a scrap of paper, removing the excess, and pressing it on the surface. Now you may still feel like there is too much going on here, but it was a great exercise in not throwing something away, but figuring out how to salvage it. This might be a spring board for another piece with less texture marks in the paste....and on it goes!

Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment