Friday, December 30, 2011

"Pine Cones"




















($40.00....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"Pine cones are perfect in their spontaneous texture and form." I like to compare the form and texture of pine cones to the human personality. No two are alike, but their characteristics are perfect in texture and form.

It was fun to juxtapose the very realistic image of the pine cone next to my ink drawing. The drawing is not precise, but that is the charm of expressive drawing. It could have been drawn with other materials, but this is my interpretation with an emphasis on the triangular shapes that are repeated in the form.

If you haven't tried drawing you should start. I began this drawing with my pointed pen and Moon Palace Ink (surface prepared with diluted gel matte medium). It is a contour drawing which means I just followed the outline of the basic form of the cone. I then added crosshatching, ink splatters, and black soft pastel to give it some depth.

If you have trouble quieting yourself internally so that you have the ability to focus creatively, I can guarantee that drawing will put you on the right side of your brain immediately. I like what Nick Meglin says in his book Drawing from Within...."When you are drawing from within, your chief concerns should be what and why rather than how a drawing is done....During the initial stages of drawing your concentration should be limited to what you see and feel and the act of expressing yourself.  (Just a few more things to try or think about.)

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment