Friday, October 26, 2012

"Inevitable"

($40.00.....6" x 6"....Open Acrylics on Gessobord)

"Change is an inevitable part of life." This may sound like an overstatement of the obvious, but the thing to take away is that we are all moving forward or backward. Nothing stays the same. Comfort zones are not our friend.

This may be another palette knife painting, but it is done with Golden Open Acrylics. The advantage of using this instead of oils is that it is water soluble and other water media can be painted or written over it. It does have a faster drying time than oils, but it still gives a generous time to work wet into wet before it becomes dry to the touch. 

The quote was written with a pencil. It is running vertically up the right hand side and is barely visible. My desire after all my experimentations with oils, acrylics plus retarder, and now open acrylics is to see how they all work. In order to incorporate lettering done with a pen or brush in gouache, I will need to work ahead to allow for drying time. Another issue is the difference in viscosity. Open Acrylics do not have the same texture or body of oils or even regular heavy body acrylics. However, I was informed that I can add a Golden Medium to the Open Acrylics to achieve the texture I want, but it will speed up the drying time. So the next step is to work ahead and also to try a medium mixed into these open acrylics.

My personal preference in choosing landscape compositions is to have a strong foreground interest. So if the "fall" does not come to Texas, I will bring the "fall" in my artwork. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment