Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"The Unexpected"










































($50.00......6" x 6"......Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord)

"The unexpected is found in spontaneity." It may be difficult to allow for spontaneity, but it is a good thing in art and in life. In today's image, I have included the photo reference. That was the starting point for total abstraction with the emphasis shifting to the lettering.

Yesterday, I made a declaration about my intentions of speeding up and slowing down the painting process. This piece was completed in (45) min. I began laying in the colors, but I bumped up the intensity because I knew I was going to abstract the entire piece and I wanted some strong color.

After placing the color notes in their places, I took my palette knife and swept through all of the colors in the same direction I was seeing in the photo reference. So I have completely obliterated all realism, but I think the piece still has hints of the photo reference. So this is one way to begin learning how to move into abstraction with an abbreviated image. This one actually went a step further with no image reference at all. It definitely will not appeal to everyone.

My husband (who gives me great feedback on what the average "non art" person would think does not like this at all.) His response was..."but what does it mean?" So if you choose an abstract path, you will definitely have viewers who will rebel and not want to look at your work.

But it is great fun and by placing a few more details in the piece...you can bring it back to an abbreviated image. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool exercise! You did an excellent job of defining the shapes and the colors! I find these exercises stretch your growth to new levels; so here's to new growth!!! ~Sue

    ReplyDelete