Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Orad Sin Cesar" (final)

















($150.00.....8" x 10"......Mixed Media....Mounted on a 2" Depth Clayboard)

As you can see, I have changed the title of this piece again. It is a Spanish title and translates into..."Pray Without Ceasing". The handwritten verse in the piece is from psalm 55:1...."Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me."

The quote was written as though it had been scratched into metal which goes along with the technique I used to make all of the other gestural marks. I also deconstructed the letters a bit by sanding with fine sand paper. It is so true that the art wants what the art wants!

I remembered that I had carved a stamp using my ruling pen letters as my guide. (The stamp was actually carved back in the mid 90's.) And that's the beauty of hand cut stamps. They can be used again in a dfferent work. I used Speedball Printing Ink for stamping and pressed very hard since I was stamping on an uneven surface. It immediately looked like the right touch because of the weight of the letters. It provided yet another contrast of weight in all of the lettering...including the text pages.

And that was when I discovered that it made sense to change the name of the piece. Besides all of that, we have a Spanish church within our church and it's nice that they can read some of the words in Spanish. So this is a good example of allowing the piece to guide you along the way. It also became apparent that the lettering needed to be "sketchy" and fit into the mood and look of the piece. So that's the capsule version of my though processes this morning.

It has been a fun piece to work on.  As always, I learned more things about technique, subtlety, integration, shapes, etc.  And that's why it is so important to create as much art as possible. Each art piece is like practicing all of those etudes and scales. It's the way art is learned! And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment