Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"Portals"




















($40.00.....6" x 6".....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"The ornate memories of the past are often reflected in the portals of my mind." The ornate texture in this image is at the top of the entrance to the Alamo. Now there's a portal with a lot of ornate memories!  Just to use an adjective to describe something that is not typically described by that word helps to pivot to a different perspective. Such is the case here.

This piece is all about texture. It contains simulated and actual texture. You can even see it in the lettering. (A very difficult surface to write on.) The simulated texture is the photo at the top portion of the entrance to the Alamo. There is also a band of collage which was printed on silk tissue paper. I then added some real texture in the form of Golden Crackle Paste around the corners.

After spraying all of that with Spray Acrylic Coating, I brushed on a coat of Liquitex Clear Gesso to help the surface receive soft pastels and charcoal powder. The surface was then sprayed with acrylic coating again and then prepared with gel matte medium to receive the lettering. For those who read my "diatribe" everyday, I hope you notice that I keep repeating my steps so that you can understand the complexity of mixed media and layering. My desire is to continue shaking it up a bit and adding or combining different techniques and materials to create more surface texture and depth. I will also be introducing more contrast of size, color, and gradation in the lettering to add interest as well. Just a few more things to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment