Friday, July 6, 2012

"Texas"





















(unavailable)

"Texas is my home." There are a few images that have a direct association with our fine state. One of those images is one head of cattle or an entire herd. Ever so often, I must return to those images in some form or fashion since I am a native Texan. If your birthplace doesn't happen to be Texas, then I extend my deepest sympathy and regret. But I am glad you got here as fast as you could!

This is not a complicated piece, but it does require several steps with drying time in between. The first layer is gesso on Rives BFK paper applied with a sponge brush and texturized with a credit card and gestural writing. It has to be applied moderately heavy to receive the texture.  This was left to dry overnight (or all day).

On the thoroughly dry surface, I painted a substantial layer of Cadmium Orange straight out of the tube. This was allowed to dry all day. In the evening, I applied Black Speedball Printing Ink with a brayer. Complete coverage was not my goal since I needed some of the orange to be peeking through. The ink was dried with a hair dryer and sprayed with Spray Acrylic Coating.

I then applied the silver leaf one section at a time. Be sure to purchase the kind that has a backing attached and cut each page into four sections. Brush Gel Matte Medium (straight from the jar) on one small section at a time and lay the leaf down. Press over it with your fingers and allow to set for about a minute or two before removing the backing. Leave some space between the sections. By the time you're through, you will have formed a grid like pattern over the entire piece.

The surface was prepared to receive more paint by brushing on (2) parts water to (1) part gel matte medium. I mixed up my acrylics for the "steer" with some retarder to extend my working time. The "steer" was then painted with acrylics and a palette knife. This was allowed to dry overnight. Lettering was added this morning. And that's how it's done! Just a few more things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment