Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"illumination" (draft 2)

(image 1)

(image 2)

























The purpose of draft (2) was to establish shapes and a variety of edges, plus contrasting texture. The one constant in each layer was to make sure that part of the previous layer remained untouched. So you can see that the largest part of the blue shape is the part that remained untouched from yesterday's posting.

If you look at yesterday's posting, there is definitely a look of fluidity and soft edges with the mono printed layering of watercolor. However, there are no clearly defined shapes. To some that is not problematic, but paintings are made up of shapes and to maintain viewer interest, the shapes become very important. They are the foundation of a piece of artwork.

Many artists have created works with little or no shapes and succeeded in the fine art world. In that case the artist was focused purely on color since lines and values create shapes. So what I am showing you today is how I preserved what I loved about watercolor from the first draft and how I then introduced more watercolor glazing to define more shapes. That's what you see in image (1). The purple color is Caput Mortuum Violet (WN brand). I also used more Cerulean Blue.

After drying these new layers (3 layers of the violet), I also created some line work with pen and ink and pencil. Next came the application of diluted white gesso (1:1 ratio) with a credit card. I dried this layer with a hair dryer and then applied another layer. After drying the second layer of gesso...I sprayed alcohol over the shape with the violet underneath followed by brayering. I continuued this until satisfied with the texture and that's what you see in image (2).

I can clearly see that more line work will add to the piece and then I will spray it with spray acrylic coating, prepare the surface for lettering and add the quote. After studying it throughout the day, I may choose to add some other element, but only time will tell. Right now, the focal point is the beautiful watercolor shape from the first layer. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment