Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Lavender Blues" (draft 2)

(image 1)

(image 2)































One thing that every artist learns over time is that layering creates depth. And so, today there are two more layers and more definition of shapes.

Windows (or rectangular openings) have long been a favorite shape in mixed media work. Artists like Katherine Chang Liu, Peggy Brown, Carole Pickle, etc. have all used windows in their work. They are an effective way of revealing previous layers and perhaps showcasing a particular image.

In the first image today, you can see that I used Dioxazine Purple (slightly dilute Heavy Body Acrylic) to create some rather dramatic dark shapes on either side of the central portion which will become the main focal point.

I began my decision making by using some cropping "L's" and a light charcoal pencil to mark off the rectangles. They are all different sizes and include portions of the original layers. Also, in image one, you can see that I defined the rectangles by using some white gesso. All of these newly painted areas were then texturized by spraying alcohol and removing (or deconstructing) portions of the paint with a brayer. I also allowed the brayer to enter into the rectangles a bit to create a more interesting edge and a transition value.

This particular purple can be very cold looking so I warmed the entire piece up a bit by adding Quinacridone Burnt Sienna (Fluid Acrylic) with a brayer. You can see how it shows up as a highlight in the dark purple areas and creates a lot of drama in the center area. Again, I was careful not to cover up all of the white areas and the purple areas in the rectangles were also left untouched except for the edges.

Today, I will be cropping the piece....adding more white gesso....adding some gestural lines...etc. From my commentary, it may sound like all of this was planned to the smallest detail. But I can assure you that I am only describing what I did after the fact. It was all intuitive while I was working. That's the nature of "jazz painting". And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment