Monday, September 16, 2013

"Notice" (final)














($125.00.......6" x 12".....Watercolor on 300 lb. Fabriano CP....Mounted on a 2" depth cradled board)

"Noticing, naming, and writing things down makes them visible to the heart." The piece is now finished, but there will probably be more quotes and pieces inspired by One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. She documents her grateful observations by writing them down and also with a digital camera.

And I will document mine with pieces of art. The idea of painting small observations from our created world in the context of abstraction really appeals to me. Of course, the problem is.....everything seems to appeal to me! It is quite the dilemma, but I am muddling my way through and making every effort to observe and notate that which inspires me more than all of the others. Alas, there are only so many hours in the day and one cannot do everything on this side of eternity.

There really isn't a whole lot to add to what I've already said about the techniques used to create this piece. The lettering is the only new addition, so I will say something about that. Values are important, even when lettering. After preparing this surface for lettering since it had (3) layers of spray acrylic coating, I wrote the quote with a Leonardt Principal nib and Bleeedproof White (WN brand). For the byline and my signature, I added just a bit of black gouache to the white to make a gray. This keeps the viewer focused on the actual quote rather than an extreme white byline and signature.

Too often, artists write their signature in such a contrasting value that it becomes a distraction. It all goes back to hierarchy of script. The most important things should be the most visible in size and value. From there on, any additional writing needs to drop down in size and value. It's just a good tip for all artists, even if you don't do lettering. Most artists have a signature on their work. That signature cannot be the first thing that the viewer notices. Otherwise, the focus of the visual communication has been compromised.

Just as a recap....the key components of this piece include a combination of different shapes and sizes...a full range of values...a full range of edges and erratic lines...transparency and opacity. That hits all of my favorite things. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment