Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Quiet Reflection"




















($40.00....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"A candle sets the tone for quiet reflection and prayer." There is something about a candle that creates a mood for thinking about the deeper things in life. It is part of my morning ritual and this is one of my more colorful candle holders. The symbolism of the flame representing the Holy Spirit is significant.

Because I wanted this to be a quiet and casual piece, I brushed on the gesso with abandon and then added some thicker splatters plus a gestural stroke. The lettering is much like an impromptu journal entry. It's part of the process of trying new things. Growth does not happen in a vacuum. Every artist must be willing to continually step out of their comfort zone and allow their vision to grow.

I am presently at a week long workshop with Carol Marine painting in oils...."alla prima". Alla Prima means to paint wet into wet. It is very challenging, but you will soon see some of my attempts, with lettering added to the mix. Some women wear red hats and purple dresses as they get older. I have chosen to throw caution to the wind and push everything to the limit...(in art, that is!).

My encouragement is to tell your internal negative voice to sit down and be quiet while you explore the many options at your disposal. Even if you are in a season of life that does not permit too much painting and lettering time, practice noticing values and sketch, draw, or do lettering in those odd moments of waiting. Just some things to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, there is something special about a candle. This piece captures that, it has that 'quiet' calm feeling when I look at it. The workshop sounds awesome, can't wait to see you put your new technique into action!

    ~Scarlett

    ReplyDelete