Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Unswerving Confidence" (sold)




















(sold)


"Faith steps into the unknown with unswerving confidence." This is just another way of describing faith by associating it with a particular action we can all identify with.

There are a several more layers to this than I normally do, but I think it gives more depth. I added a lot of soft pastels and then decided it was too much. After spraying with acrylic coating to fix the pastel, I brushed on slightly diluted gesso in select areas followed by a clean brush dipped in water to remove some of the gesso and soften the edges. (All of the brushes I use for these particular techniques are sponge brushes.)

Because I am quite fond of the writings of George MacDonald (contemporary of C.S. Lewis...early 1900's) I included a couple of lines from his book of prose Diary of an Old Soul. As much as I like the quote, if I had it to do over again, I probably would have left it out. I think it would have been a better design decision. But tomorrow is another day so I'll not worry about it.

If you do have script in the background and you are writing over it...spray with acrylic coating and prepare the surface for lettering with gel matte medium. (This is described in other postings.) If you don't do this...you better not make a mistake. Otherwise you will not be able to correct it without also correcting the script underneath. Just a few more things to think about.

1 comment:

  1. I think the beautiful rows of black script add interest and balance. I like it all!

    ReplyDelete