Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Good Morning" (sold)




















(sold)


Even before I began drinking coffee, the aroma of coffee brewing told me it was time to get moving. Drinking that first cup in the morning awakens my senses and helps me to focus. How about you?

When a piece looks okay, but you feel as though it might need an energy boost....just introduce the complementary of an existing color. In this case the existing color was raw sienna (a very earthy, grayed down yellow). I had not planned on painting the table and chairs until I finished drawing them. There didn't seen to be enough life in the piece so I mixed up some cerulean blue gouache with some bleedproof white and painted. Because blue is the split complementary of yellow, this color brought the piece to life. Try using a color wheel to learn some of the basics about color. Direct and split complementaries are explained there along with other valuable information.

Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the sale! I really liked this one a lot and saw it in person! Even more BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete