Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Hugs and Kisses" (unavailable)




















(unavailable)

The familiar icon of the "X" and "O" standing for a hug and kiss made its way into the background of this piece and prompted the quote. It's great shorthand for saying "I love you". Tomorrow is your day!

The "gesso man" also emerged in this piece. Those who did not attend the Yves Leterme Workshop are probably scratching your head wondering what I'm talking about! You see, gesso can cover up an area that needs to go away. Since I was using gouache and watercolor, I did spray it lightly with Krylon Acrylic Spray Coating first. Next, came the gesso applied with an old credit card. The only problem was that it completely covered the image! So I ran to the sink and sprayed off my flower and then shoved the rest of the "soupy" gesso around with the credit card...creating the diagonal ridge of white. Now those of you who are familiar with the work of Yves Leterme will know that he would have told me to also cover up a portion or ALL of the lettering...and rewrite the quote in pencil (very small).... Maybe another time!

2 comments: