Saturday, June 30, 2012

"Amen!"




















($40.00.....6" x 6".....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"Say amen to something every day!" It will make you feel good...like everything is right in the world again. Try it!

This is a very, very, experimental piece of artwork. I took it to the brink of destruction several times and then decided it was done when nothing else came to mind for me to do.

It began as a mono print on rice paper that was cropped and adhered to a clayboard. It is necessary to attach it to a hard support in order to work since rice paper is thin. Silver leaf, an extra piece of rice paper mono printed, the flourished Amen, and finally some fragments of metallic leaf were adhered in that order.

The method of deconstruction was used to add interest and make the darker purple piece more integrated into the support. After I adhered everything, the darker purple piece was still damp from the gel matte medium so I lifted up an edge an tore it off as far as it would go. I did that in several other places, revealing the mono print underneath. It truly is another spontaneous technique that yields good results in situations like this.

The quote took a back seat and is barely noticeable in the upper left hand corner. Writing it in pencil also helped to keep it subtle. I can't decide whether I like the end result completely, but I am pleased at the very strong shapes that were established. The ornate lettering is an old style which contrasts well with a very contemporary look. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. So if you're frustrated with anything today, try deconstruction. It's very therapeutic!


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment