Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Framed in Time"






















($60.00.....6" x 6".......mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)


"There is space, framed in time, for a good friend." A person with no friends is living in poverty of the soul. We all need to make space for our friends.

In this piece I am experimenting, once again, with slight diagonals and transparency. The piece began with a blank sheet of Rives BFK. Using an old credit card, I covered the surface with gesso and spread it around. The gesso naturally "pools" where ever you stop moving the gesso around with the credit card. Some of the underlying lines are raised areas of this gesso.

I then printed out several different scrap pieces from my files of lettering and printing from long ago. Because I wanted some sharp color contrast, I chose to print over the gesso with a hand carved stamp and Blue Speedball Printing Ink first.  Most of it was sprayed with water and blotted to subdue the color. After drying and spraying with Spray Acrylic Coating, I was then ready to arrange and adhere the transparent layers.

The last step was to prepare the surface for lettering, think up a quote, and write. It still amazes me how sitting across the room from the piece almost immediately sparks the idea for the quote. There is no way I could have told you what the quote was going to be before the background was done. It really is the best way to work! Just a few more things to try or think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment