Saturday, June 2, 2012

"Impressions"




















($60.00......6" x 6"......mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)


"The impressions of the heart reveal themselves in the process." Whatever is on your mind and in your heart inevitably shows up in your art process. It also shows up in your conversation and  actions. This is why people can spot your artwork in an exhibit full of many other paintings.

This is an experiment with gesso, acrylics, brayering, stamping, and collage on silk tissue paper. In past works, I have laid down quite a bit of gesso with textural marks inscribed while it was still wet which created a heavily textured background. In this piece, I deliberately laid down a much thinner layer and used an erratic line stamp pressed into the gesso to create a much more subtle effect.

After this dried, I brushed on some pale blue color over the entire piece and then smoothed and removed it by brayering over the wet surface and alternating wiping off the brayer with a paper towel. That technique is what gives the erratic "printed" look in the background. I then darken the blue mixture with raw umber and brushed over the surface again but leaving the edge around the window. Then I dipped the brayer into rubbing alcohol and brayered over the background and left a darker edge around the window. And I kept doing this kind of technique until satisfied and left it to dry overnight.

This morning, I finished the piece by printing some bits and pieces of work I had done some time ago and added the white lettering. All in all, this is a very soft version of gesso techniques that gives subtle and beautiful texture. And now you have a few more things to try or think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment