Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"Honor and Integrity"




















($80.00......5" x 5"......mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard and floated on a linen mat in a custom frame)


"Lasting friendship is crowned with honor and integrity." These two character qualities seem to be in short supply these days. This is a good day to be thankful for any friend in your life who possesses them. (The quote was inspired by an inscription in a book from the 1880's.)

This is a pouring medium piece which I manipulated to create a marbled paper effect like the end papers found on the inside covers of many old books. I began by covering the entire paper with Titanium White + Pouring Medium. (You will need to hold it up over a cookie sheet and turn it repeatedly to get good coverage over the whole sheet.)

The other colors were poured over this first layer of white and then I picked it up by diagonal corners and let the colors mingle together by tilting the paper slowly in several directions until I was satisfied that the strong color blocks were dissipated. My intent was not to have such bold and solid color shapes in this background, but a marbled look instead.

I knew I wanted to create a "library piece" so I turned to my collection of old books until I found this dedication to a friend in the front of the book. The actual torn piece of this quote was covering too much of the background so I opted to print it on silk tissue paper for the purposes of transparency. But I did decide to include the embossed seal which is opaque because of the texture. However, it looked a bit out of place until I figured out that I needed a line engraved transparent print over laying the seal. Once that was done, and all the pieces were in place, I then wrote the quote. Experience has taught me to establish a particular look or mood in the piece first before coming up with a precise concept. Everything will flow together better and look a lot more convincing than trying to force a particular concept in the beginning.  It's all about letting go and responding to the passion of the look and the spontaneous techniques that bring about a strong visual. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment