Thursday, August 2, 2012

"Soft Whispers"




















($60.00.......6" x 6"......mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)


"Soft whispers in my heart release the wildest color in my art." This is just a fun piece to show that I'm not always serious. It's a wild and crazy kind of piece to simply enjoy.

Since the first part of this year, I discovered that my pieces came together in a much more cohesive way if I simply had fun with technique(s) and then came up with the quote or final touches at the end with no preconceived concept in mind. Only a mood. I always think about the mood of a piece which governs the color selection and selected techniques.

However, there are times when writing freely in the background with a pencil that a phrase or particular word will come to mind. In this case, it was "whispers in my heart". And since those words are discernible, I thought it wise to actually include them in the quote. It has a decidedly Spanish feel with the color selection and ornate "S" and that was the most intentional part of the process.

I know there are artists who will balk at the idea of working this way and still want to plan out their concept to the "hilt", but experience has taught me that the more spontaneous I can be in the beginning, the more spontaneous and cohesive the piece will be. It also allows for surprises to happen along the way. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. I love your saturated color! I've found the "Visuals to words" works best for me, too. When I did murals and faux painting that was always my first question for the customer, "What mood do you want to create?" The second was, "Do you have any reference visuals, colors, or fabrics to pull from for inspiration?" You can even start with words like rich, tailored, Tuscan, fun or outdoorsy. Magazines are full of color inspiration!

    ReplyDelete