Friday, August 17, 2012

"Prayer"




















($60.00.......6" x 6"......mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)

"Prayer changes everything." Many quotes have been written on prayer. The closest wording to this one says..."Prayer changes things." I like this one because the word "everything" is all inclusive. What a comforting thought.

In searching through my old books for collage elements for this piece, I had a nice surprise by finding a four leaf clover tucked between the pages. It was quite fragile, but by carefully adhering and coating it with gel matte medium, it is be preserved.

I was very interested in the forward to this book which is entitled Two Searches. The two searches reference God's search for man and man's search for God. By covering up a portion of the text, the mystery of the meaning is made more difficult to read and adding flourished overlays simply adds to that mystery. The important decisions with the placement of collage elements was an effort to create more shapes and still leave enough of the background in tact for visual relief. It is also a good idea to place a vertical element like the book spine in a left or right of center position to create lost and found edges in the pouring medium. This is an important design tip that creates depth.

The text collage is also framed out by adding the ornate "P" going from the edge of the space to the edge of the spine and likewise with the placement of the quote at the bottom. The clover is important because it is a contrast to any of the shapes in the piece yet it echoes the color of the book spine. I hope none of this is boring, but I've always liked for artists to explain why they do the things they do because it helps me process my own design decisions. For that reason, I hope you've been helped if you are into creating collage pieces. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. Dee.... YOU are never boring!!! Everything you "teach" always has a "place" somewhere. Whether people are ready to filter it at that time or not is their issue. THANK you for filling us in on every facet of your thoughts and working process. I think it is invaluable and although I don't have time to read it EVERY day... i do like to go back and read several posts at a time to get "caught UP". Sometimes, i go back and find a piece which you've done and re read what you did to accomplish that particular gem. I think they are all "babies" which you have birthed and each one has a place on this Earth for a Reason! Thank you for your efforts and your constant passion for the RIGHT things in your life.. yes, it's your calling! XO Love and hugs always!
    You are such a blessing in my life!

    ReplyDelete