Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"Important Issues"




















(unavailable)

"Don't let the most important issues get pushed to the edge." I once read a book called "Tyranny of the Urgent. It was all about those incessant details that eat up all of our time. Sometimes those details must be pushed aside to make room for the important things.

This is a much darker piece than I typically like to do, but the details at the edges (hence the quote) gave me a green light. I would have preferred a bit more white in the large brown color block, but with pouring medium...what you pour is what you get. I still like it very much because I'm a Burnt Sienna type of gal and this piece has a bit of a "western feel" to me.

So the point I'm trying to make is not to give up on all of your pouring medium pieces even when the colors don't land exactly where you want them to. What does work in this piece is the contrast of size in the color blocks. Brown obviously takes up the most space, but that sets the stage for the Burnt Sienna and Pthalo Green to be the "bling" in the piece with a sparkle of white in both areas. The unequal distribution of color is probably more important than if I had all the same of amount of colors showing equally. And, of course, those two special areas were the perfect place to add a bit of line work to bring attention to those areas and also be an echo of the shapes of those two color blocks.

In fact, that large brown color block compels me to look at the bright colors where there is also some detail. It's quite fascinating to notice why the human eye gravitates to particular areas where there is a "push pull" effect going on with color, values, and division of space. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment