Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Don't Sit Yet!" (unavailable)




















(unavailable)

As you have probably noticed, I love to take quotes that have been around for awhile and give them a new "twist". Such is the case here. The original, time honored quote is..."Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today". I wanted to inject the word "suffer" because I have suffered much by not getting something done that caused great pain later. Doesn't the porch slider say it all?

I have gotten a lot of mileage out of graphite and I used it in a new way to help adjust the values. The upper left hand corner was way too bright with edges that were too hard. My first inclination was to brush on a bit of powdered charcoal or soft pastel, but since I had already written the lettering with a pencil, I scraped off some shavings from a 5B and brushed it on. It allows the base color to show through while toning down an area and softening the edges. Give it a try!


Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment