Thursday, April 21, 2011

"Splendid" (unavailable)




















(in permanent collection of dee day)

This bold and wild display of background color was a great place to drop in some calla lilies. I am enjoying seeing them everywhere. I hope you are, too.

I did have someone ask me why I made the lettering blend in with the background which makes it harder to read. That's a good question. My goal is to have readable text up close (so click onto the image if you have trouble reading the quote.) My other goal is to see an actual image from across the room without the text competing too much. That's why I've chosen in most pieces to have a bold division of space from edge to edge. There have been some more subdued pieces, but the "edge to edge" rule still stands even in those.

Notice that the pot and calla lilies go from top to bottom. And even though there is a half inch negative space at the top, it is close enough to have the eye close the gap for you. I do like the unequal divisions of the blocks of background color, even though it's quite bold. It would not have worked well if the edges between these colors had been hard edges. I save those for the center of interest...and even those edges have either been slightly blurred with water or blend into the background color. Also note that once again, white and neutrals calm down and create a counterpoint to very bold colors. I might just go out and buy some lilies today!

Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment