Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"Los Pasos"




















This is a (12" x 12") exhibit piece. It is presently hanging in the Open Doors Gallery at my church. It is based on a scripture from Proverbs. The title and verse are included in Spanish and English which is something I like to do to create more texture and interest. I am also motivated by the fact that we have a significant number of people in our Spanish Ministry.

In this piece I have distressed the paper with deeply incised lines before applying a paste and acrylic in the first layer. You can see softly defined divisions of space with the steps being the only reference to realism. If you look at earlier postings you can see clearly that steps or stairs have become one of my contemporary icons. This one is my favorite thus far because of the placement of the stairs. My goal was to create an imaginary interior inviting the viewer to come up the stairs and into the white doorway where the main quote appears. The verse also appears in pencil and in Spanish at the very top of the piece. Every other design element is obvious. At this stage, I hope you can see some of the possibilities of abstract divisions of space. The most important part of this process is starting with blocking in the color on wet paper without brushing it to death. This is what will give you the soft, diffused lines. It is a deeply satisfying process and I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

(Any interest in this piece will need to be sent to me in an e-mail or in a comment on this blog.  All the pieces posted this week are exhibit pieces and are not listed on ebay.  The (6" x 6") postings will resume next Monday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment