Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"Come To The Feast"

($150.00......12" x 12"....Acrylics on 300 lb. HP....Mounted on a 1.50" depth Clayboard)

"The table of the Lord is set with flowers and food. Come to the feast!" This is a 12" x 12" acrylic painting created for the Easter Exhibit. This quote was based on a parable from Luke 14. You might want to check it out for all of the details.

Today I am convinced that artists must have the patience of Job! Trying to wait on acrylic paint to dry is like watching water boil. It simply takes forever...especially when done with a palette knife. Between the hair dryer and a fan, I finally finished this piece. 

You may remember seeing the draft several days ago. The very abstract flowers are a bit more defined and I also made a title change. The thing that kept me going on this piece is the amount of texture and very simple shapes and division of space. The black centers keep your eye moving from one area to another. The blue flowers make one continuous shape and touch three sides of the design space. The two white flowers also touch all four sides.  To have a dynamic painting, the major shapes should touch at least two sides of the design space.

I kept the lettering light and airy to match the mood of the piece. But I must say that writing on this surface was no easy task! If you could see the original, you would see how textural it really is, and it didn't help that with my first try, I thought the paint was dry, but discovered it was still wet underneath. 

If my time constraints weren't so tight, it would definitely have been better to let it dry for a day or two before lettering. Lesson learned! And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment