Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Vivace" (sold)




















(sold)


The word, vivace, is a musical term that means..."in a lively, brisk manner". This quote is about what it takes to do something at the top of your game. For instance, a music selection marked with the quarter note played at 120 beats per minute could never be practiced at that speed initially. Dr. Urekvitz, my college piano professor, would instruct me to begin at 40 beats and gradually speed up. The tendency for most of us is to try to learn a skill at the same speed of someone who is accomplished. Save yourself some frustration and slow down.

In this piece, I have attempted to do some expressive lettering loosely based on spencerian script. Even though the form of spencerian is well known and practiced by me, I still find it a bit awkward to execute this more expressive style. So can I simply sit down and write it with the same degree of proficiency and speed that others can who have spent hundreds more hours on it than I have? No, I cannot. But I am better than I was day before yesterday. The whole point is to realize where you are in the process and don't be so hard on yourself. The important thing is not to give up, but keep writing or doing whatever it is you are trying to master. One day you will notice how well you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment