Friday, May 20, 2011

"Wholeness" ($60.00)




















(adjusted price.....$60.00......mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)


Hectic activity day after day can take its toll on body and soul. It's always healing to go to those places that offer quietness and rest. It's even better if it's some place close. Just an hour or two can do wonders.

The initial blocks of color in this piece remind me of New Mexico or Arizona. Both of those states have places that prompted this quote. (Our state has plenty of places as well.)

The process for this piece began with isolated marks and bands of color (acrylic + paste) applied to wet paper with a credit card. There are overlapping bands as well which helped to form the top of the bluff. Now I had no idea in mind when creating this first layer, but after cropping, I knew it could be an abstract landscape. At this stage, it helps to have photographs to use as a reference to fill in the details.

This is only one way of working, but no matter how you plan your process, it is very helpful to have a ton of photographs on hand. Each trip can yield a new "stash" so keep that in mind as summer approaches. Digital photography is indeed a great tool for the artist.

Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

1 comment:

  1. I agree, digital photography is my favorite "tool". Photos are indispensable for me, I use them all the time.
    You created a painting that communicates quietness and rest-beautiful!

    ReplyDelete