Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Trees Like Cathedrals" (sold)




















(sold)

The quote reads...."Trees are like cathedral spires reaching for the heavens."

This is the first time since blogging that I've placed the quote in a vertical orientation. It does make it harder to read, but I just had to do it in this case.

The limbs on the barren trees in the foreground and the yellow "sun like" shape in the upper rt. quadrant help to counter balance the predominantly vertical shapes. This is just one of the advantages of working with a square. Since it has no particular horizontal or vertical orientation, you can decide that by dividing up the square in a particular way.

I did paint the trees with transparent watercolors. However, the barren trees were masked out with Pebeo Masking Fluid first. It is easier to achieve a random look by applying the mask with one of the wooden picks used to clean your teeth. (Found with the toothpaste and manuf. by Johnson and Johnson.) Using these will also save your brushes from destruction. Pebeo Masking Fluid can be hard to find. Order from Paper and Ink Arts. It is very useful when trying to preserve portions of previous layers. If you've not used it, give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. ...and "cathedrals are like tree spires..."!! God has wonderfully inspired great things....I like IMAGINING what the painting will look like before I open your link....using your "tease" I "paint the picture" before you do.....then I look and see you did it better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dee....I don't know if it's YOUR settings or MINE, but whenever I try to leave a comment, I have to actually sign in with google/blogger SEVERAL times ....even if I am already signed in, I have to go thru the motions 2-3 additional times...this is very annoying and I have tried it several ways, hoping I could figure the method, but MAYBE it's our settings :) what do you think? Has anyone else commmented like that?

    ReplyDelete