Friday, November 11, 2011

"Morning" ($30.00)




















($30.00....mounted on a 1/8" clayboard panel)

"Morning rewards early risers with a treasure trove of fresh ideas." I already know that some of you are going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about! But I would challenge you to try it for awhile and see how it goes. It really can be the quietest and most productive part of the day.

Many mornings in the hill country look like this piece right before the sun comes up. Often the fog settles in and then burns off with the sunrise. It really is a restful piece that required a restful script to support the concept.

Spencerian Script is a very "poetic" hand and I fell in love with the simple beauty of this script almost from the first moment I really began to understand and practice its unique characteristics. It is deceptively simple because it has very few shaded strokes, has an angular and smaller x-height than copperplate, and has a "rounded check mark" type of exit stroke,  but when it is viewed in a longer passage, it has a sparkle and simplicity that lends itself to quieter, more thoughtful pieces where more pronounced lettering does not contribute to the piece. These are just some of the reasons why you see so much of it in my work.

It also has a historical look and fits perfectly with vintage photographs or collage pieces where you just want a simple line of lettering without being too "fussy". So my advice to those of you who are still struggling with spencerian is simply to hang in there and practice just one line of writing a day. To quote myself....."everything is difficult before it is easy". (posted on May 14, 2011) Practicing with a very sharp pencil until you understand the form of every letter will speed up your progress. It is extremely difficult to write with pen and ink until you understand the form and characteristics of each letter. Just something to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment