Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"Timelessness"




















($40.00......mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)

"Slipping into timelessness is to possess those thoughts not frozen in time." There are particular people, places, and things that are unforgettable and don't seem to fall off of the "radar screen" of our mind. The image in this piece is an architectural element from the Biltmore in Ashville, N.C. It is an element not frozen in time because it continues to inspire with its perfection of design. I know this is deep, but try to think of those things that stir up timeless memories for you. Those particular thoughts are not frozen in time. They live on.

As you can see, I am still "pushing the envelope" with my photographs. The same kinds of effects can probably be created in Photoshop, but you would not have the actual properties of paint or the original marks on the piece.

In this piece, I began again with a monoprint created with Walnut Ink on Arches Text Wove. This monoprint was created on damp paper to soften the edges of the print, but it is also possible to do it on dry paper just to see what would happen. I then printed the photograph over the monoprint by running the paper through my printer. Pencil marks and lines followed. Spray Acrylic Coating (2x)....followed by Pouring Medium plus Unbleached Titanium. Dry overnight. These are all the things I did in yesterday's post. But today, I added a bit of soft pastel by scraping it onto a paper plate and applying with a Hake brush. The surface created by the pouring medium receives soft pastel extremely well.

In the final stages, I sprayed the surface with acrylic coating again (to hold the pastel in place) followed by (2) coats of diluted gel matte medium to prepare the surface for writing. (Remember to secure the piece with a removable sticky square so that you can hold the hair dryer and brush on the matte medium simultaneously. The medium will not attach to a slick surface without heat.) Just some more things to try or think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. ooooh, I love the architectural look of this! Beautiful work! ~s

    ReplyDelete