Friday, September 7, 2012

"Truth Remains"




















($60.00.........6" x 6".......mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)

"Words may come and go, but the truth remains the same." Reality is a difficult thing, but no amount of words will change it in any area of life.

Many of my compositions come from inspiration in traditional document layouts or things I've seen in the book arts.

When I am creating pouring medium pieces, I consciously try to anchor the color with bands of darker color at the top or bottom of the color bands, and sometimes just the bottom. I find that the grounding color (for me, mostly black) weights the piece at the bottom which gives visual weight in the right place. In this piece, of course, the black band is at the top and bottom with a contemporary twist by having spontaneous shapes rather than the very straight and ordered decorative elements found in most graphic design prints.

By using touches of black with bright colors, I am also referencing my love for Spanish colors. Other grounding colors could be a rich brown such as raw umber, a very deep green, prussian blue (navy), or a very deep burgandy. For me, it is easier to establish echoes with my black line engravings, and black hand lettering than to be switching to other dark colors, so black remains my favorite "ground" in both my art and in my wardrobe. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment