Friday, October 19, 2012

"Ebb and Flow"

($40.00....300lb HP mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)

"The ebb and flow of seasons is an ongoing benediction to God's creation." Even though I automatically gravitate to "Fall" as my favorite season, it would probably bore me if we had "Fall" all the time. It's the variety exhibited in the ebb and flow of the seasons that gives rhythm to our lives and an ongoing benediction to what God has created. Amen!

Even though design is a very important part of the art process, it can become very predictable and contrived. For this reason, and also because I'm getting older and can't seem to remember what I do from one day to the next, I would like to share what I have come to believe as a very important part of the art process.

It is incredibly easy to "crank" out artwork without stopping to analyze why and what we're doing or to come up with new thoughts. So to combat this problem for myself, I have begun to think with a clipboard in my hand so I can jot down the answers to the questions I am asking about my own process. 

For instance...one of my favorite questions..."is it convincing?" If there is anything that gives me pause, I really do need to think about what that might be.  Another favorite question..."are the elements of design all well integrated?" If I am truly honest, I will answer that question without glossing over the one thing that may be troubling me. And on it goes. 

The thing to remember is that we can all know what our next step is in our own process by analyzing why and what we're doing. Writing down every idea that comes to mind is a must. I can guarantee you will not remember what you were thinking six months from now or maybe even one day from now. 

This makes a hugh difference in how we all work and will keep us out of that fatal "comfort zone" that keeps doing the same thing over and over again. And even when we find that one technique or one voice that we can call our own, we would be well advised to continue "kicking it up a notch." And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment