Sunday, May 1, 2011

" A Cathedral" (unavailable)




















(in the permanent collection of dee day)

My love for cathedrals has never wavered. And with all the "pomp and circumstance" that has taken place in Westminster Abbey this past week, those feelings of glorious and radiant beauty intensified once again. Surely the brush of angel wings and the Spirit of God can be more intensely felt in such a glorious place!

Subtlety is very important to me, even when my piece might have more intense colors. Setting a particular mood is a very important part of that process.  Fortunately, I had picked up several values of soft pastels last week and had them on hand. They are a tremendous aid in modulating the value range in a subtle way. Charcoal powder would have been too "blatant" in this piece, but the inclusion of dark gray pastel was perfect. It was scraped off onto a paper plate with a break off knife and then brushed over the desired areas. Since there are over (500) color choices in soft pastel, I would suggest purchasing a light, medium, and dark in gray and any other colors you use regularly.  You don't need to be a pastel artist to use and appreciate what they can do for your work.

Some artists don't believe in this, but I do spray my work with Krylon Acrylic Spray Coating. All of my work has a final two coats of varnish which makes it completely agreeable for presentation with no glass....and possibly no frame. The 1.50" depth clayboards are perfect for mounting your work and presenting with no frame. Most contemporary work is being presented this way now.

Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

2 comments:

  1. Dee, I am loving your blog. You do beautiful work, and it's so nice to see how you overcome the challenges of papers you may not have liked so much to end up with a great piece. I have a couple of questions regarding presentation and finishing your pieces. You said you finish with two coats of varnish. Brushed on or sprayed? What kind? And how do you mount the pieces to the clayboard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - my email is jan.hurst AT insightbb.com

    ReplyDelete