Friday, May 6, 2011

"Journeys" (unavailable)




















(in the permanent collection of dee day)

Some journeys are long and some are short. It's easier to lose sight of the goal on a long journey. The key is to stay on track by keeping your bags packed with knowledge and practice. It won't be long before you're pulling into the station with your goal and your journey completed.

This piece has more abstraction than many I've done and I like the idea of surprise elements and shapes. Last Tuesday was a big paste paper session where I found myself manipulating the paste by not always covering the entire surface, but thinking about shapes and possible "cropped" sections. Each time I create these papers, I'm learning more about manipulating the surface texture. This is exciting because it's extremely difficult to create images that look random and spontaneous. Working this way allows for the first layer of the piece to provide the erratic lines and movement that give energy to a piece. Cropping of a large sheet of these highly energetic marks then becomes an art form. I really can't say enough about it!  And to think I stumbled into this never dreaming I would be making such a big deal out of paste paper. This is what creating a piece every day will do for you. It's a journey worth taking!


Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

1 comment:

  1. I love the beautiful soft color in this one and the lettering is very expressive. Way to go!
    ~s

    ReplyDelete