Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"Light"

($40.00.....6" x 6"....Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord)

"The amount of light changes everything." The longer I create art, the more stunned I am that the things that are true in art are also true in life. Such is the case with this quote.

It is amazing how a painting comes together simply by laying in the color blocks in the right place with the right shapes. This painting was a case in point. I was holding it in my hand as I painted and studied my reference photo very carefully and didn't feel like it was pulling together until I sat it on an easel across the room.

And even though I did take some liberties with some of the color, it still looked like my reference photo. So I guess the point is...to occasionally step away from your work to see where you are in the process. It is also good to check your darkest darks and lightest lights to make sure they're on target. It is super easy to not get the darks dark enough and seems to be a continual problem with artists in all media. 

On another note, if you stand and paint in front of an easel, you might want to consider buying a long rubber mat so that your feet don't get tired and you will also have a runway to step back and forth on as you work. Bath and Body Works has a nice one for around $60.00. All of you young chicks may not need it, but those of us past 60 need all the help we can get. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment