Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"Open My Eyes"

($125.00......6" x 12".....Water Soluble Oils on 300 lb HP....Mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)

"Open my eyes to see wonderful truths in your instructions." The text in this piece is from Psalm 119:18 (NLT) It is a potential piece for an upcoming exhibit.

Another "Gestural Landscape" without giving heed to the natural order or color of an actual landscape. The focal point is color. I am enjoying doing these because they create a wonderful backdrop for gestural writing and expressive mark making.

I purposefully try not to have straight bands of color, but allow the palette knife to do its work of creating an erratic edge. And from a distance, no one would suspect that there was lettering in the piece. Using techniques that actually integrate the lettering this well keeps the piece looking like an abstract oil painting. The lettering is an extra surprise for those who view the painting up close.

Some lettering artists still prefer lettering to be placed in the middle of the page of a white sheet of paper. I must admit that those types of pieces have their own personal charm, but to be competitive with other artists who are doing everything under the sun, not to mention the millions of images on the internet, it is important to combine disciplines to come up with other ways to visually communicate.

As for me, I like both approaches, but it is quite exhilarating to throw caution to the wind and let loose with some very free and expressive approaches. It's all part of the process. I have friends who paint very tightly and realistically and it's beautiful. I have other friends who are somewhere in the middle between realism and impressionism. So my encouragement is to try it all and notice the common denominators that keep pulling you in a specific direction. For me it is the "gestural mark" and the inclusion of lettering in every piece whether it's oils, mixed media, or glass. 

Once you decide what your common denominators are...you will have discovered your artistic voice. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment