Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Sunlit Meadow"


($200.00.....8" x 10"....Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord....Presented in a Custom Frame)

"Sunlit meadows dance in the light." There is something about the light shining through trees and revealing a sunlit meadow. It reminds us that the landscape is vibrating with life.

True to one of my goals for the new year...I am working on a larger piece for at least one posting per week. Although I have gotten a bit carried away with my Gestural Landscapes in a 6" x 12" size. Today's piece is an 8" x 10"and was painted from one of my Texas Hill Country photos. It is more abstracted than some of my other ones, but I suspect that is a result of several days of the Gestural Landscape pieces. 

And that brings me to my talking point for today. It is good to go back and forth between mediums because they influence each other. Even my mixed media pieces are influenced by my oil paintings and vice versa. It enables you to see a lot of your work from different inspirations and notice the common denominators that are unique to you. It is good to know what those particular marks, techniques, and other elements are so that you can hone them and mature in your artistic voice.

After this morning, I could clearly see how the gestural marks keep coming to the forefront and I am pretty much convinced that I need to go more abstract with the landscapes done en plein aire as well as the ones using a reference photo. It only makes sense, but I did not see it as clearly until I began working on the (10) Gestural Landscapes. I absolutely need areas of the painting that have little or no detail to incorporate expressive lettering. 

And of course, all of the palette knife practice helps me to be able to do the same types of works in acrylic so that I can prepare the surface for lettering and do it more precisely for those who simply tolerate gestural "stuff". I do know who my audience is and realize that often the readability factor is hugh. No problem. I will just do both...and maybe in the same piece!

And so go my thoughts today. It may seem like rambling, but I hope it will inspire you to have these same conversations with yourself. It's very instructive. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job once again, Dee! I like how the green looks like sun is illuminating it. ~Sue

    ReplyDelete