Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Connect the Dots" ($30.00)




















(adjusted price....$30.00)

"Connect the dots you have to receive more numbers." I am sure everyone has completed a "dot to dot" picture or has a child or grandchild who has. This quote takes that concept a step further by equating what we know in any given area to the dots in a coloring book picture. If we act on the information we know...it will open the door to new insight...and we will receive more numbers.

The first thing you will notice in this piece is that I left a word out of the quote. Now I do know how to correct a mistake like this, but it takes time and tends to be tedious. I was very tired so I decided to add another dot and leave it as is.  These things happen!

This is a piece built upon geometric shapes making it totally abstract. It is part of my continuing color series. It has huge color impact from across the room because of the powerful contrasts. Three colors were used. The first color was applied on dry paper that already had lines and gesso applied in a random fashion. Using a sponge brush, I painted this dilute Turquoise in horizontal bands in two directions leaving white space for the other colors. I did the same thing with Quinacridone Violet , making sure I overlapped the turquoise in areas to create "grayed down" purple. The last color was Raw Sienna.  It, too, "grayed down" the turquoise and violet wherever it overlapped.

This method of paint application over paper randomly primed with gesso and leaving some portions untouched gives an array of colors and shapes that lay the foundation for total abstraction or the inclusion of a realistic image either painted on or presented as a collage element.

If you are in my upcoming color workshop, this would be a good way to experiment before the class begins. A wise instructor once said that if you really want to learn something, try doing it on your own first, and then find an instructor. By doing this, you will catch on right away. That instructor was Donald Jackson. Just something to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

2 comments: