Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Simplicity" ($40.00)




















(adjusted price.....$40.00)


"Good design favors simplicity." In my own life, I tend to get bogged down in endless detail. So once again, a principle that applies in art also applies in daily life. Deleting unnecessary things and details is the path to freedom through simplicity. It also keeps your house clean!

Most important things are not completely learned in the first go around. That's why going back to the basics is always a good thing to do. It also develops your aesthetic. I have found this to be especially true in the area of design. Even though I can rattle off the elements and principles of design, I keep learning more about it as I blog every day. Most of the oil painters and instructors in oils suggest that you really cannot make great progress until you've completed at least (100) small paintings. It is only when these (100) are done, that real progress begins.

Having said that, I am close to having completed (200) small paintings on this blog and I am still stunned at how much I keep learning about design. So today I want to list the principles of design. Look at design as though you are making a cake. The elements of design (from yesterday's posting) are the ingredients for the cake. The principles of design tell you how to mix the ingredients and bake the cake....or artwork. Unity is a sense of oneness. Dominance is one characteristic of a design element dominating. Contrast is the opposite characteristic of a design element. Balance can be symmetrical or asymmetrical. Gradation is one element going from large to small...small to large...light to dark or dark to light. Repetition is repeating any of the design elements. Alternation is alternating any of the design elements.

It sounds simple, but in the beginning, it can seem overly complex. The only way to become adept is to create artwork..and lots of it and analyze your work to see what you did with each design element. It will eventually become intuitive.  Hence, one of my reasons for blogging. Just something to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

1 comment:

  1. Did you create a custom stamp for the flower? This is a lovely painting. I know I need to focus more on the design elements, thanks for the reminder. Wow, Dee, almost 200!!! that's really amazing!

    ReplyDelete