Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Seasons of Life" (unavailable)




















(unavailable)


"Memories are the verbs that conjugate the seasons of our lives." Memories are accumulating in our lives everyday. But there are some memories that punctuate our lives and create a dramatic shift. Those are the ones that move us into a different season. Enjoy what you have today before a new season comes.

I'm geting ahead of myself in this piece and wanting to jump ahead to fall and leave summer behind. The colors were originally too light and weak in this piece, so I did what I know to do. Take one color and cause it to dominate in a big way. So I gessoed over the weak part, stamped into it it with a hand cut stamp and let it dry. The only trouble with using a substantial amount of gesso is that it forms a resist. What I ended up doing was stick my fingers into the gouache I used to paint the orange leaf and smear it over the gesso with my fingers. I now have a new technique when I want opaque coverage over gesso. Acrylic will not do what the gouache does in this instance. And the gouache needs to be almost dry when applying.

The one thing to take away here is the principle of allowing one color to dominate when a piece "goes south".  Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment