Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Declarations of Faith" ($60.00)




















(adjusted price....$60.00.....mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard)

"Declarations of faith are the water that nourishes my dreams." A declaration of faith is a statement of belief that you already have or can do what you feel stirred in your heart to have or do. The Bible says it this way in Hebrews 11:1..."Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see."

For much of my youth, I lived thirty miles from South Padre. It was easy for me to turn this gesso piece into my familiar memories of the tide coming in. It can be a bit overwhelming to see that much water and no shoreline in a piece of art. However, I had in my mind some big declarations of faith so I wanted lots of water. (Not to mention the fact that all of us living in Texas right now have visions of water! It's called rain!)

Initially I had painted over all of the water area with greens and blues. To give the illusion of waves crashing, I needed to reveal some of the white gesso. It is easy to do with a stiff flat brush and some rubbing alcohol. Alcohol removes acrylic paint, especially if there is gesso underneath. The lettering is not easily read (on purpose) because I chose to make it the secondary focal point. From across the room, you will not even see the lettering, but it is totally legible when you are "up close and personal." These are design decisions that every lettering artist has to make. I personally don't think it works well to have the image and the lettering share "equal billing". Just something to think about.

Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment