Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Between Friends" (sold)




















(sold)

"Encouragement flows freely between the hearts of friends." A friend who always has an open ear for you is a true friend. That kind of friend will always be an encourager. I am personally thankful for all of the friends and family members who are the encouragers in my life. Who are the friends in your life? Together, we can be thankful!

Incorporating diagonals in a piece of art automatically brings on the drama. By manipulating the suspended paint in the pouring medium, the diagonal lines were made even more dramatic. Starting from the red at the bottom and moving upward, the direction of the lines in the marbling increased dramatically.

Playing around with technique and also "thinking" at the same time has many rewards. There is no book you can buy to learn every available technique with a given medium. Those "treasures" are stored up for the artist who experiments. I have now created almost 300 (6 x 6's) and one of the most valuable things I've learned is the many techniques that have emerged from the daily deadline of blogging. No book, workshop, conference, or exhibit has taught me more about process than being in my studio every single day. Within two weeks of this commitment, my internal negative voice began to shut down and all of the cumulative art experience of my life began to emerge.

My advice to anyone wanting to advance artistically at a fairly rapid pace is to embrace a process that gets you into your studio every single day. Sure, you will have days when things don't go as planned, but more often than not, you will surprise yourself with all the insights stored up in your head that you thought you forgot. I am passionate about this and my desire is to convey the confidence that can be yours through blogging or any other process that gets you to your studio daily.   Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment