Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Montage" ($30.00)




















(adjusted price.....$30.00)

"Everything we do enters the montage of our experiences." A montage is the technique of producing a new composite whole from fragments of pictures, words, music, etc. Once we understand that every decision we make is a "make or break" decision, it is a tremendous motivation to make good ones so that the montage of our life is going in a direction that produces positive and continuous growth.

The process of writing quotes and then matching them to an appropriate image is one of the most satisfying and fascinating things I've done. The cool part is that I can always write a new quote for a piece if I don't have one on my clipboard that works. Yes, I run around with a clipboard everywhere I go because I never know when a good quote will come to mind.

In this case, I had already written the quote and then created a series of abstract pieces with Liquitex Pouring Medium. This one was a "reject" for a good while because there was a big blob of white that landed in my piece which didn't seem to fit. The solution came to mind when I remembered that alcohol breaks up acrylic paint. So I dipped a fairly stiff brush into alcohol and rubbed over the white spot until the color broke up and became diffused and blended into the piece. It is now a contributing factor in the success of the piece and ties into the lettering. So I guess the "rule of thumb" is this....if something is not working, do something to blend it into the piece....paint over it....or make it the focal point.

And even though the division of space and the process created very diffused edges, there is enough interest in the marbelized bits to add enough detail to maintain interest.

Just a few more things to try or think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment