Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Cup of Suffering" (sold)




















(sold)


Today I have chosen to depart from my 6 x 6 posting to give you a "sneak preview" from the Easter Exhibit ("I Am") that is opening tomorrow evening at Hill Country Bible Church NW in Austin, Tx. This is one out of six of my pieces.

If you are planning to attend you will also see ninety other pieces of artwork created by the thirty-six artists who are participating. One of these includes C. D. Weaver, artist in residence at the Presbyterian Seminary. He works primarily in forged steel and has created a beautiful cross in steel, a carved wood sculpture with an inlaid cross, and a beautiful fused glass bowl with the head of Peter.

It will be well worth your effort to view this stunning display of work. To view the invitation with all of the details, go to our website at (pactofaustin.com).

Two of the techniques I used in this piece were expressive marks in white gesso which were the first thing I did on the piece. Gesso was also used for the bowl to give it some dimension. It was then painted with magenta acrylic, followed by gold orange acryl gouache and then topped off with black gesso. After the glazing of the blue and the lettering was complete, I used charcoal powder and a hake brush to apply more black to the center of the cross. Charcoal powder is very potent so If you ever choose to use it, you will need to practice on a workoff sheet. It is wonderful because it adds mystery and an ethereal quality to works like this. I have also used it many times in the 6 x 6 works to softly darken the edges and corners of a piece. (There is a bit of distortion of this image because it was photographed and not scanned....making some of the lines of lettering look crooked.) One thing I learned from Denis Brown is that a scanned image is always better than a photo, no matter how good the camera is.

This piece will not be on ebay.  It must stay in the exhibit until the second week of June. Any interest in purchase or knowing how it is presented should be directed to me by leaving a comment.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a powerful piece, Dee. I hope I can get over there to see your other works and the works of the other artists sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete