Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Fusion" (sold)




















(sold)

My glass kiln is programmed to go up to 1450 degrees to fully fuse three layers of glass. When all is said and done those separate pieces of glass literally become one piece. The image here reminds me of fused glass and the energy behind this process. To me this is a visual of what happens when we pray. Being fused to God's heart is a spectacular thing!

In this piece I used soft pastels for the first time in my posted pieces. Before I could apply the pastels...I prepared the surface with clear gesso (Liquitex) to give it the required "tooth" to receive them. I then scraped the pastel onto the desired area and pressed down with a palette knife to cause it to grab the surface.

This technique bears a heavy resemblance to glass powder (frit) that has been fused into glass. Because my surfaces are exposed, I sprayed it with acrylic coating (2x). I might add that pastel artists do not typically spray anything on their work because it diminishes the intensity and texture a bit. However, I will do anything and everything to have my finished work presented with a final varnish that makes the piece impervious to moisture or touch. Just a little side note....soft pastels come in over 500 different sticks of color. Amazing! If you don't like mixing paint, this is your medium.


Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment