Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Ounce vs. Pound" ($40.00)




















(adjusted price....$40.00)

You probably recognize that this quote bears a resemblance to one you may have heard your mother say..."An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". If my mother said it once, she said it a thousand times! She was trying to tell me that my actions had consequences. The quote today has a similar meaning. Save yourself some time and sit down to think before you work.

As I've mentioned before, my goal is to learn well how to combine abstraction with realism. It is no easy task because if you include a piece with "hyper realism" in a piece as abstract as this one, it looks odd and doesn't work well. There is an artist (Sherry Loehr) who creates very real still lifes with enough abstraction in the background to give movement and energy to her work. I have concluded that the two can be combined successfully only if two things are understood. The more realistic the image...the less abstract marks or shapes can be included. However, if the image gives a nod to realism..(doesn't include every tiny detail or every value)...more abstract marks and shapes can be included. (To date, my piece from March called "Cotton" has been the most successful with this.) Just something to think about.


Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment