Monday, April 18, 2011

"Good Things" (unavailable)




















(unavailable)

It is possible to wait so long for something that the desired opportunity passes you by. Learning to wait is very important but it is equally as important to seize the opportunity when it comes. It's a balance.

If I was forced to reduce my library down to only five books (perish the thought!), Johannes Itten's book on The Elements of Color would be in the top five. Without going into a dissertation over the contents of the book, the main feature is his analysis of the seven color contrasts.

This piece clearly brought that home to me. At first there was only blue and black. The textures were great, but I had a tremendous sense of being alone in an ocean of water with darkness and coldness overtaking me. This was definitely not the feeling I wanted to convey. The dilemma was resolved by introducing the direct complement of blue which is orange. (A very good reason why we all love sunsets!) By careful placement and thinking about the contrast of extension...I was able to bring about a happy outcome. The definition of extension from Itten's book is helpful. "Contrast of extension involves the relative areas of two or more color patches. It is the contrast between too much and little, or great and small."

No comments:

Post a Comment