Friday, August 12, 2011

"Drawing" ($30.00)




















(adjusted price.....$30.00)

Even if you don't consider yourself an artist, you might be surprised if you simply picked up a pencil and paper. Just look at an object and act as though you are tracing it. I've never experienced an activity that shoves me to the right side of my brain more completely. So next time you feel "blocked" creatively, just start drawing!

There are many types of drawing. Some drawings are perfectly rendered and require much time and effort. There is another type of drawing that is done quickly with gestural strokes and not lifting your pencil or charcoal from the paper. The type of drawing I prefer to do is probably more in the realm of sketching. It is extremely edited and even plays around a bit with distortion.

In this piece, my reference photo was an antique store in a small Texas town. If your eyes were closed for more than 10 seconds, you would miss seeing the town entirely! Just looking at the photo and thinking about drawing it made me tired. There was an overwhelming amount of detail. So I decided to do what Alan Cober does when he draws. (One of my favorite illustrators.) He just omits the things he doesn't want to draw. What a concept! It's called editing. We can all forget that we are the artist and we can choose what to include. The "drawing police" will not give us a citation if we fail to include every detail, for heaven's sake! And if the drawing isn't perfect...that's even better.

It becomes even more expressive if you draw on an abstract background or a few smudges on the paper. This whole expressive process becomes even more addictive when you create your drawing with a pointed pen and play with the quality of the lines. That's exactly what I did in this piece and it was completely satisfying. I even created the lettering with a very "nonchalant" attitude. Sometimes, perfect lettering has to go! You will know when you're through as soon as the drawing is convincing. (You can tell what it represents.)

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment