Sunday, August 21, 2011

"The Gate"




















This is a (12" x 12") piece created for the Open Doors Gallery at Hill Country Bible Church NW in Austin, Texas. The passage is from the gospel of John. The gate is Jesus Christ and the contemporary translation is from The Message. Double click to read the passage and be blessed today.

These larger works always give me an opportunity to develop my concept more completely.
The background was developed from a spontaneously created first layer to establish an ethereal and timeless mood. Consequently, white gesso entered the process but only after the background was painted, sealed, and prepared to receive the lettering and soft edged patches of white. (Refer to earlier postings for surface preparation.) Notice that the white is emphasized more in all four corners. The capital "I" representing the person of Christ was my focal point with the lettering so I created the most ornate and flourished letter that could be found in all of the exemplars of spencerian in my library.

Even though there is a lot going on in the background, the division of space is still quite pronounced. I have come to fully understand how important shapes are, even in an abstract piece. They ground the piece and deserve careful attention. Just something to think about.

This piece will not be listed on ebay. Any interest should be directed to me by leaving a comment or sending me an e-mail. (Only my 6" x 6" work has a ten day listing on ebay.)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece! I love your choice of color and image. The swirl in the lower left corner resembles a lens flare (exquisite!). ~s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely work of art. Your art is soulful and filled with such a peaceful energy.
    So nice to meet you Saturday evening and looking forward to starting each new day by viewing your creations. Very inspiring!
    Jacque Benson

    ReplyDelete