Monday, December 17, 2012

"Comfort Zones"

($125.00......6" x 6"......Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord....floated on a linen mat in a custom frame)

"Comfort zones are difficult to disrupt." We all need a few comfort zones to keep us on an even keel. The problem arises when they become the warm blanket we grab when we get cold. The real progress happens when we toss the blanket aside and reach for the stars.

This quote came to mind in connection with the barn because I think we all like to see old barns. They symbolize an era that is quickly disappearing while food and cattle are produced by corporations on a large scale.

I have also been thinking a lot about comfort zones because they become habits and rituals in a stressful world. Disrupting these zones takes a lot of intentionality. A recent book I read has helped me enormously. It's called the One Minute List. Unfortunately, I could not remember where I placed the book this morning so I don't have the author's name, but I do know I found it in the business section of Barnes & Noble.

The list recommended by the author has three key parts. The first part is called "Critical Now". This part of the list should not exceed (5) items and includes things with today's date attached that must be done today. I have taken it a step further and included a few more things that I consider non negotiables that need to be done everyday. One of those for me is blogging.

The second part of the list is called "Opportunity Now", which involves those things that you would like to get done if there is time left over after the "Critical Now" portion. This part should include things that need to be done within (10) days. 

The third part of the list is called "Over the Horizon" which includes goals and desires to be completed in the future. The idea is to prioritize your list into these three categories. A plan like this is very intentional and keeps all of your goals moving along. I also like the idea that there is extreme flexibility.

No matter what your plan is, the important point is to employ some way of avoiding the sabotage of your dreams by "floating" through life. Think intentionally and you will soon see yours dreams moving into reality. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment